Jump Over Left Menu
Contact us, website administration information, and collections
For any enquries about this site or if you are interested in contributing please contact email@example.com.
Sources of information
- Papers donated by Joan Howlett on the death of Jack Howlett, the only Director of the Atlas Computer Laboratory through its life;
- Archival material from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory;
- Material provided by Trevor Amos, Oliver Atkin, Jim Austin, John Baldwin, Alex Bell, Paul Bryant, Bob and Jan Conrod, Jitze Couperus, Nigel Diaper, David Duce, Alan Francis, David Green, Jim Hailstone, Jack Howlett, Garry Hunt, Nero Knowles, Dik Leatherdale, Victoria Marshall, John McKay, George Michael, Robbie Roberts, Ken Robinson, Brian Spoor, Jim Stewart, Brian Sutcliffe, Eric and Judy Thomas, Brian Wichman, Bill Williams, Rob Witty and others.
Catalogues and collections of items
We are in the process of compiling various catalogues of items in the Atlas collection. Most (but not all) were produced at Chilton or have some association with it; others were produced elsewhere so are included for completeness only.
Catalogue of artefacts
Catalogue of printed matter
Catalogue of films on-line
Library of publications
Atlas@50 anniversary brochure
Chronology of updates
- (23 February) Added High Performance Computing at the Atlas Centre, a biography of Leslie Fox, and the 1000th issue of Computer Weekly from 13 February 1986 containing photos from the Atlas Lab
- (18 December) Revamped structure of site admin pages and photos on top page; added Bob Hopgood bio and UAIDE contents pages
- (14 November) Updated Susan Hockey page to include "Computing in the Humanities" from the ICL Technical Journal, November 1979
- (11 November) Doug House has died after a long illness
- (10 October) They Took a Chance: Susan Hockey and Julianne Nyhan Skype interview published by Springer
- (22 September) Goodbye to Tony Pritchett, creator of the Flexipede, who died very suddenly a few weeks ago
- (18 September) Catalogue and ACL/Literature/Other sections updated to include newly scanned documents
- (17 September) FRAH updated the /ACL/Applications/COCOA chess graphics to accommodate new web standards
- (28 August) Tony Pritchett (creator of The Flexipede) has died very suddenly, at home
- (End of August) Sue Ward has died after a long illness
- (End of August) John Lewis, one of the "Sussex Chemists" has died after a long illness; this was a few weeks after celebrating his 72nd birthday and golden wedding anniversary
- (14 April) Added image license terms, 1906A Reference Manual, Chris Eilbeck animations
- (28 January) PLAYSD manual updated (with thanks to John Buckle); TASK manual added
- (14 January) Added PLAYSD manual to ALC/Literature/Manuals
- (25 November) Updated ACL graphics and animation sections to include newly-digitised cine films
- (3 October) Updated SC4020 section to include UAIDE 1970 conference proceedings
- (8 September) Updated ACD/Literature: Contouring, 3D Histograms, Starlink SGS
- (8 September) Updated Inf/Eng: Electromagnetics/TOSCA article, GVN issue 50
- (8 September) Updated CCD: GKS User Guide, PLUTO78 manual, Network News
- (13 August) Created https://www.facebook.com/chiltoncomputing
- (25 July) Alex Bell has died; he had been suffering from heart problems. He had returned from Australia to live near Telford
- (20 May) Added Baylis/Control Data proposal for a STAR Computer System to ACL/Literature/Minutes/SRC ACC
- (20 May) Added Hopgood/Bell paper on library facilities of the Atlas Algol Compiler to ACL/Applications/Algol
- (20 May) Added Hailstone/Athawes paper about Opscan/Optical Mark Readers to ACL/Literature/Reports
- (20 May) Hollerith Type 555 section enhanced in ACL/Literature/Early history
- (20 May) Added copy of Expressing it in Numbers: A Personal Memoir -- Part 2 by Bill Trowbridge from web site http://www.trowbridge.org.uk/
- (20 May) Added papers on history of magnet design to ACD/ICF/SIGS
- (14 April) Added Alan Kay's 1970 PhD thesis 'The Reactive Engine' to Inf/Literature/Books/Window Management/Bibliography.
- (8 March) Added visit by Tony Pritchett photos.
- (4 March) Added Transputer Initiative photos.
- (25 November) Rewired Hartran section; added Paul Bryant/ICF photos.
- (30 October) Various updates to Atlas applications, literature and technology.
- (29 September) Added RSA 1997 and 1998 to CISD/Literature.
- (15 September) Added Bart Fossey obituary and "Science Now" recording about DataGlove.
- (1 August) Bart Fossey has died after a short illness.
- (25 July) Gill Keats/Beckwith has died after a long illness. After leaving Atlas, she and her husband Ted moved to Australia, then to Spain to be near her daughter. Many people will remember Gill as the 'front desk' face of Atlas for many years.
- (26 June) Cooke-Yarbourough paper, including Dekatron
- (26 June) Letter re acceptance tests
- (26 June) Further details on 1962 seminar
- (25 June) Conference "Application of Computers" Nottingham 15-19 September 1958
- (25 June) Proceedings "Automatic Digital Computation," NPL 25-28 March 1953
- (19 June) Conference "High Speed Automatic Calculating-Machines" Cambridge 22-25 June 1949
- (26 May) W3C UK Office newsletters 1998-2006
Our thanks to STFC for hosting this site.