Jump over left menu
This Gallery currently contains over 3000 photographs that relate to Computing and computer staff on the Chilton site that housed both the Atlas Computer Laboratory and the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. We would be pleased to receive copies of any other relevant photographs that people have.
We welcome re-use of this material provided suitable acknowledgement is given to the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC). A link to and mention of: http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/ would be appreciated.
The photographs in this archive currently fall into three main classes:
- Photographs taken by Harwell's Photographics Section (Harwell)
- Photographs taken by Rutherford's Photographics Section (1965-2003)
- Photographs from other sources (Other)
Links to the sections are available in the header bar with the Rutherford set broken down into sections by date.
Chronology of additions to this web:
- (14 April) Added Alan Kay's 1970 PhD thesis 'The Reactive Engine' to Inf/Literature/Books/Window Management/Bibliography.
- (8 March) Added visit by Tony Pritchett photos.
- (4 March) Added Transputer Initiative photos.
- (25 November) Rewired Hartran section; added Paul Bryant/ICF photos.
- (30 October) Various updates to Atlas applications, literature and technology.
- (29 September) Added RSA 1997 and 1998 to CISD/Literature.
- (15 September) Added Bart Fossey obituary and "Science Now" recording about DataGlove.
- (1 August) Bart Fossey has died after a short illness.
- (25 July) Gill Keats/Beckwith has died after a long illness. After leaving Atlas, she and her husband Ted moved to Australia, then to Spain to be near her daughter. Many people will remember Gill as the 'front desk' face of Atlas for many years.
- (26 June) Cooke-Yarbourough paper, including Dekatron
- (26 June) Letter re acceptance tests
- (26 June) Further details on 1962 seminar
- (25 June) Conference "Application of Computers" Nottingham 15-19 September 1958
- (25 June) Proceedings "Automatic Digital Computation," NPL 25-28 March 1953
- (19 June) Conference "High Speed Automatic Calculating-Machines" Cambridge 22-25 June 1949
- (26 May) W3C UK Office newsletters 1998-2006
There are also various catalogues of items in the Atlas collection. Most (but not all) were produced at Chilton or have some association with it; others were produced elsewhere so are included for completeness only.
Note that as of 2016, these are all under compilation.
- Catalogue of artefacts
- Catalogue of printed matter
- Catalogue of films and videos
- Catalogue of films on-line
Our thanks to STFC for hosting this site.