Jump over left menu
This Gallery currently contains over 3000 photographs that relate to Computing and computer staff on the Chilton site that housed both the Atlas Computer Laboratory and the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. We would be pleased to receive copies of any other relevant photographs that people have.
We welcome re-use of this material provided suitable acknowledgement is given to the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC). A link to and mention of: http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/ would be appreciated.
The photographs in this archive currently fall into three main classes:
- Photographs taken by Harwell's Photographics Section (Harwell)
- Photographs taken by Rutherford's Photographics Section (1965-2003)
- Photographs from other sources (Other)
Links to the sections are available in the header bar with the Rutherford set broken down into sections by date.
Chronology of additions to this web:
- (25 November 2015) Rewired Hartran section; added Paul Bryant/ICF photos.
- (30 October 2015) Various updates to Atlas applications, literature and technology.
- (29 September 2015) Added RSA 1997 and 1998 to CISD/Literature.
- (15 September 2015) Added Bart Fossey obituary and "Science Now" recording about DataGlove.
- (1 August 2015) Bart Fossey has died after a short illness.
- (25 July 2015) Gill Keats/Beckwith has died after a long illness. After leaving Atlas, she and her husband Ted moved to Australia, then to Spain to be near her daughter. Many people will remember Gill as the 'front desk' face of Atlas for many years.
- (26 June 2015) Cooke-Yarbourough paper, including Dekatron
- (26 June 2015) Letter re acceptance tests
- (26 June 2015) Further details on 1962 seminar
- (25 June 2015) Conference "Application of Computers" Nottingham 15-19 September 1958
- (25 June 2015) Proceedings "Automatic Digital Computation," NPL 25-28 March 1953
- (19 June 2015) Conference "High Speed Automatic Calculating-Machines" Cambridge 22-25 June 1949
- (26 May 2015) W3C UK Office newsletters 1998-2006
- (20 April 2015) Catalogue of artefacts
Our thanks to STFC for hosting this site.