Computing at Chilton: 1961-2000

Welcome to the Chilton Computing web site, an archive of reports and photographs documenting the computers, people and work performed by the various computing departments at the Atlas Computer and Rutherford Appleton Laboratories between 1961 and 2000.

Sited next to the NIRNS Rutherford High Energy Laboratory:
 ACL: Atlas Computer Laboratory (1963-75)
Part of Rutherford Laboratory:
 C&A: Computing and Automation Division (1961-84)
 ACD: Atlas Computing Division (1975-84)
Part of Rutherford Appleton Laboratory:
 INF: Informatics Department (1984-91)
 CCD: Central Computing Division (1984-91)
 CISD and DCI: Computing and Information Science Department/Department for Computation and Information (1995-99)
From the Rutherford photographic archives:
 Photo gallery (1961-2014)
1950 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 2005 Harwell AEA BTM55, Dekatron Cadet, Mercury Harwell AEA 360/65, 370/165, 370/168 Harwell AEA Cray Rutherford (RL) C&A Division (CA) Orion, 360/75, 360/195, 3032, 1906A Rutherford (RAL) Central Computing Division (CCD) Cray X-MP, Y-MP 3090 Atlas (ACL) Atlas, 1906A RL (ACD) Prime GEC RAL (CD) 3081 Atlas10 PERQs SUNs Rutherford (RAL) Informatics (INF) Pyramid, DAP Stella, Transputers Rutherford (RAL) CISD, DCI, ITD then BITD Cray J90 Clusters Farms Timeline of computing at Chilton (1950-2005)
Our thanks to STFC for hosting this site.