Jump Over Left Menu
SERC/ICL Memorandum of Understanding
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
BETWEEN SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING RESEARCH COUNCIL (SERC)
AND INTERNATIONAL COMPUTERS LIMITED (ICL)
ON WEDNESDAY 23rd SEPTEMBER 1981
Discussions between SERC and ICL have concluded that it is in the mutual. interests of both parties to collaborate on the implementation of the PERQ project and to formalise such understandings that have already been discussed.
The parties agree to work towards a formal Agreement based on the principles stated below. These statements aims, intentions and agreements are to form the basis of continuing discussions but do not, in themselves, represent a binding commitment by either party until a formal Agreement is concluded.
Therefore, it is agreed that:
- SERC, acting on behalf of the Research Council's and SERC funded bodies, intended to establish a central procurement of PERQs from ICL. The exact quantity to be ordered will depend on the success of the project, delivery times, etc. but a quantity in excess of 200 over the next two years in not unrealistic.
- SERC and ICL will agree a co-ordinated programme of software development on PERQ. SERC and SERC funded activities will be offered a free non-transferable licence to use that software provided by ICL in return for ICL being offered free worldwide exclusive marketing rights on that software provided by SERC subject to negotiations and the scale of contribution put in by ICL (see Collaborative Grants Scheme).
- SERC will provide ICL with office accommodation for a limited number of ICL personnel involved in collaboration with SERC on PERQ development.
- SERC will provide first line software support for its PERQ sites from a central support team, and ICL shall provide second line support to SERC's central support team.
- ICL and SERC intend to collaborate in the planning and specification of developments of PERQ and its enhancements.
- SERC agrees to the reasonable use by ICL of SERC's PERQ demonstration facilities subject to prior bookings.
- SERC agrees to the use by ICL of SERC's PERQ development facilities subject to negotiations.
- ICL will endeavour to deliver PERQs ordered by SERC ex stock and SERC will in turn, endeavour to provide early notice of impending orders.
- ICL will manufacture PERQ, its development and successors, at its own facilities.
- ICL intends to provide a PERQ repair service until at least 30th September 1985.
For and on behalf of
SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
DR G. MANNING
For and on behalf of
INTERNATIONAL COMPUTERS LIMITED
DR P.D. AYLETT