Jump over left menu
Getting Started: October 1962
This first view is from the road which used to be the main runway when Harwell was an RAF Station in the 1939-45 war. In the background is the lower end of the Harwell site.
This second view has the Tandem Van der Graf Generator at the far right on the skyline. Just to the left (behind the trees) is Building 328 which housed the Ferranti Mercury and to the left is Hangar 8 that held GLEEP. The Hangar 8.9 Offices were where many of the computer staff lived including those who were writing the HARTRAN Fortran Compiler.
The main structure is the two-level building that held Atlas with the foundations of the Office Block in the foreground.